Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide (AHP) – the future of disinfection
By Sarah Mangala, Diversey Care Product Manager
Monday, 24 April, 2017
Contamination of environmental surfaces has been linked with transmission of healthcare acquired infections (HAIs). Products used to clean and disinfect the environment are designed to kill. Yet paradoxically, they must be safe to use. The ultimate goal of cleaning and disinfecting environmental surfaces is to create a safe environment for patients, visitors and staff.
In the modern era of Infection Prevention and Management of Hospital Acquired Infections (HAIs) there are multitudes of disinfectant choices available for facilities to deliver a hygienic environment to ensure optimal patient outcome.
To make an informed decision Rutala and Weber (2014) state that the selection of the ideal disinfectant comes down to five key criteria:
- Kill claims for the most prevalent healthcare pathogens
- Fast kill time and acceptable wet contact time. Contact time should be greater than the time it takes to kill a pathogen. If a product evaporates before the kill time is reached, then a contaminated surface may not be disinfected
- Safety of the product should be assessed such as its non-toxicity, non-irritant classification. The product should not cause any harm to users, patients, surfaces and equipment
- Ease of Use. Considering that the most effective disinfection is done at the point of care, the disinfectant must be easy to use by cleaners and Nursing staff
- Supplier Support such as education. The cost of infection should form part of a facility’s calculation when evaluating the choice of a disinfectant
“Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide acts quickly against major pathogens, is odourless and safe to use on most healthcare surfaces.”
William Rutala, Director Hospital Epidemiology, UNC Healthcare System, USA
Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide, or AHP, is the breakthrough advancement in infection prevention for the healthcare environment. AHP is a patented formula containing hydrogen peroxide that has been accelerated to dramatically increase its germicidal potency and enhance cleaning performance.
AHP based disinfectants are fast acting, effective and safe.
- Fast Acting: If a disinfectant evaporated before the kill time is reached, then a contaminated surface may not be disinfected (Rutala & Weber, 2014). A disinfectant with a realistic contact time is more effective and more likely to be used and comply with.
- Efficacious: AHP disinfectants have validated efficacy with short contact times. Unlike chlorine-based alternatives, AHP is highly efficient as both a cleaner and disinfectant in the presence of soil, inorganic and organic matter and body fluids.
- Safe: AHP is sustainable and environmentally friendly. There is no residue and AHP biodegrades to just oxygen and water.
Diversey Care addresses the dichotomy of using a powerful disinfectant that kills pathogens fast and has a good safety profile. Oxivir® Tb and the newly launched Sporicide PlusTM are AHP disinfectants that balance efficacy with safety.
Oxivir® Tb is a registered one-step Hospital Grade disinfectant cleaner that is efficacious against Gram negative and Gram positive bacteria, enveloped and non-enveloped viruses, mycobacteria, pathogenic fungi, and bloodborne pathogens. Sporicide PlusTM is a registered one-step Hospital Grade disinfectant cleaner that contains high-dose AHP. Sporicide PlusTM is efficacious against spores and spore-forming pathogens including Clostridium difficile, Clostridium sporogenes and Bacillus subtilis.
Oxivir® Tb and Sporicide PlusTM kill prevalent Healthcare associated pathogens within minutes without leaving a build-up or creating destructive microcracks that harbour pathogens. Both products work within the time for a surface to dry enhancing its efficacy power.
For ease of use, Oxivir® Tb and Sporicide PlusTM are available in ready-to-use liquid and wipes.
The choice of a safe, effective, one-step cleaner disinfectant with broad spectrum efficacy is vital in reducing the risks of HAIs. AHP based disinfectants such as Oxivir® Tb and Sporicide PlusTM meet these criteria providing confidence and protection for your patients, staff and facility.
For more information on how Diversey Care can help you deliver an optimal cleaning and disinfection program please contact:
AU 1800 647 779 NZ 0800 803 615 vericlean.com.au
About Diversey Care
We are the leading provider of smart, sustainable solutions for cleaning and hygiene. Through the integration of new technology-enabled services and systems, our solutions drive increased productivity, food safety and infection prevention to ultimately enhance the end-user experience.
Rutala WA & Weber DJ. Selection of the Ideal Disinfectant. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 2014; 35: 855-865
Miele's PG8582 Washer-Disinfector: A safe solution complying with the relevant market standard ISO EN15883 – 1&2
For more than 50 years, Miele Professional has focused on working closely with doctors, hygiene...
Healthcare equipment and surfaces may pose a transmission risk if not adequately decontaminated.
Material compatibility and communication remains crucial in the fight to prevent healthcare associated infections
The surface environment presents an important route of transmission for microorganisms; when...