ABC Reports Medicare Local System Will be Scrapped
There is growing speculation the Federal Government plans to shut down the Medicare Local system, according to an article published by ABC today.
The ABC reports it has learned a number of Medicare Local chief executives were told the Federal Government plans to shut down the current system and local health bodies will be scrapped in next month's budget.
The ABC obtained a circular sent to heads of each Medicare Local by its peak body which urges organisations to lobby local Members of Parliament.
Some of the proposals for 2014-15 the Government is considering include:
- ending funding to Medicare Locals
- establishing larger statutory agencies to funnel state and federal funding
- heavier involvement of private health insurers
- more focus on GP involvement
- putting services out to public tender
- abolishing the peak body Australian Medicare Local Alliance
To read the full ABC article, go to http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-22/medicare-locals-like-to-face-the-axe-in-budget/5402414
CarerHelp has launched an educational campaign to help Australians who provide end-of-life care...
Blackmores Institute has released a white paper investigating the evidence-based use of...
Healthcare workers battling on the COVID-19 frontline are being advised to keep tabs on their...